Can Pentax make A Decent Lens? Ricoh have not fixed QC issues...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758Gear list
Like?
Re: Can Pentax make A Decent Lens? Ricoh have not fixed QC issues...
In reply to Bill Robb, 6 months ago

Bill Robb wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

To be fair, I have made a point of staying away from the lenses that are known to have problems. My point was though that it is so close to impossible for a person to buy 20 lenses and get 19 that are defective that he must be doing something himself.

-- hide signature --

If it's possible to win the lottery with the odds stacked against you as they are, getting a one out of twenty rate of good lenses is seriously within the realms of reality (although unlikely). I'd like to know what one can do to decenter a lens, use it to chock a wheel when your handbrake ceases to function maybe, I have no recollections of it.

Set up a test that guarantees a bad result and see how may lenses turn in bad results.

Luckily I didn't have to convince Tamron or Sigma, they acknowledged the problems.

Did they acknowledge a problem or did they just blindly accept returns until you got tired?

Hi Bill,

The tests that I use amount to, mounting the lens on the camera and checking general functionality and AF, then going out into the countryside and taking distant views.

No brick wall shots or tape measures, sliding scales, brackets, or angled or convoluted theoretical mumbo jumbo.

Just traditional shooting, I shoot a lot of landscapes and if there's a decentering problem distant views show it up better than any other method.

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow