ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Zigadiboom
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
G1X VS G1X Mark II LENS SHARPNESS and IMAGE QUALITY
4 months ago

Hi All,

I'm a proud owner of the G1X and have produced great results with it knowing and understanding its particular limitations. I don't mind eventually upgrading to the newer model but I would like to gain some insight into specific aspects both cameras namely sharpness and overall image quality.

I can ascertain from my own experience and others here that the sharpness of the original G1X is very good throughout the range being at least as good as Canon's own 15-85mm. Some have even gone as far as to say that the lens quality gives some of the L series lenses a good run for their money.

See the following links:

Canon G1X vs 7D + 24-70mm f2.8L USM

http://dpinterface.com/2012/03/12/canon-powershot-g1x-canon-eos-7d-indepth-comparison/

Canon G1X vs 5D Mark II + 24-105mm f4L

http://www.witnesstobeauty.com/canon-g1x-review

So the key questions I have are the following:

1) Is the G1X Mark ii sharper or as sharp as the original G1X across the range

2) Although both cameras seem to use the same sensor does the G1X Mark II apply more noise reduction to high ISO images obliterating overall detail. I personally prefer a slightly noisier image where details are preserved

3) How is the RAW dynamic range of the G1X Mark II compared to the original. I ask the question because the following graph doesn't look particularly promising.

Dynamic Range. Higher to signal noise ratio signifies better performance

If anyone who has used both cameras able to give me an insightful reply that'd be greatly appreciated. Others are also welcome to comment.

Lastly if Sony with their RX100 Mark III have sorted out their image stabilisation issues and their 24-70mm proves to be sharp across the range then it may well be within consideration although I much prefer Canon's colour rendition, user interface and overall reliability.

Zigadiboom's gear list:Zigadiboom's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon 1 V1
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sony RX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow