Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Mohundro
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?
Critical Comparison of the E-M1, E-M5 and E-M10 Wanted
4 months ago

I think it's fair to say that I'm having a bit of a GAS attack. I'll be traveling to Europe in the Fall and with each rip I seem to be able to justify to myself a new photographic instrument, and at the end of each it actually turns out that I have in fact benefited from my baic equipment change so the "need" I've invented has actually paid off by a at least a marginally more pleasing image-making experience.

I started wih a Nikon D80, and, because my age was beginning to tell as I walked some of those 8 to 10 hour days through concrete-floored museums and churches and over cobblestones I moved on to the lighter Panasonic GF1 and the only slightly smaller GX1.

Although I don't have any shakes that I can actually admit that I experience, I'm beginning to be sure that some sort of image stabilization is going to become absolutely essential. With the Pannys, I've been very pleased with the basic all-round 14-45 OIS zoom, accompanied by the 20mm f,1.7 (first model) which of course is not a stabilized lens.

I recently acquired the nice, modest-sized 24-85 VR Nikkor for my D610, but I'm going to stay with M4/3, at least for foreign travel, and, while I've been happy with the Pannys, I, as a DSLR user also, am still not entirely satisfied with the EVFs I used with those Pannys.

Now, recognizing that image stabilization may be growing even more important, and being not quite satified with those EVFs, I've bcome interested in trading for or supplementing my GX1 with one of these Olympus bodies: the E-M1, the E-M5 or the E-M10, and using my existing Lumix lenses, and possibly but not necessarily adding another. I must admit that I'm attracted by IBIS, even if it looks kind of Egyptian.

Are there web sites (yeah, I know about the one that can't be mentioned on this forum) with will fairly objecively and critically compare the merits and demerits of the three Olympic bodies I've mentioned?

Jim Mohundro

Jim Mohundro's gear list:Jim Mohundro's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D610
Nikon D610 Nikon D80 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow