Should i exchange my canon 17-55 2.8 for another one? Would you?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Camley
Regular MemberPosts: 443Gear list
Like?
Re: HOW SERIOUS IS THE I.S. FAILURE ON THIS LENS?
In reply to Cameranoobie, 5 months ago

Cameranoobie wrote:

A friend of mine (after i told him what i bought) is trying to convince me to return the lens cause he says i will run into nothing but problems. He says this lens has a high failure rate (almost gaurenteed problems) and the I.S. dying after a year is a manufacturers defect.

He also said that NOT to use the IS if i dont have to. He says to manually turn it on when i need it to save it from breaking down as fast.

Can anyone comment?

I bought my 17-55 f/2.8 in August 2007 and have had no problems with it. The IS works as it did when I first bought it.

Of course I only operate the IS when I half press the shutter button but why would you use it any other way?

It's a high performing lens but you seem to be very nervous about it. Buy a new one and get an extended warranty if you are that worried about your equipment.

Camley's gear list:Camley's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow