Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
d3xmeister
Senior MemberPosts: 1,394Gear list
Like?
New GH4 owner needs some help.
2 months ago

I know, I know, RTFM. I'm actually doing it right now, but if you can help me with a few answer, would be great.

1.   Video AF. I had a G6 which after a bit of struggle, I managed to set up to AF fairly reliable in video, with AF set to AFS and Continous AF set to ON and Face AF ON. The GH4 hunts like crazy with same settings, any recommandations ?

2.  Big issue: For photos, there is Face detect AF, but I cannot use Face detect and change the AF points without changing AF settings. In Face AF mode, it focuses on faces, or if it cannot find one, it focuses on whatever it wants, it does not let me chose AF area. I think the G6 allowed this, but I could be wrong. The Olympus E-M5 does do this.

3.  When selecting single area AF, I cannot choose one of the 49 areas, it just moves a square sloooooowly on the screen, takes forever to get into desired position. Can I move fast between the 49 focus points ? Preferable while also in Face detect see above.

4. When touch AF, it is very very slow to focus. If I activate touch shutter, it focuses and takes the picture fast, if I only have touch to focus, it is very slow.

5. EVF is a little laggy compared to the G6 and the E-M5, any setting that can change this ?

6. Syncro scan supposed to eliminate flicker when shooting 30p in PAL countries, but it does not seem to make a difference. Played also with the shutter angle option, but still flickers like crazy in 30p. Am I missing something ?

7.  Syncro scan only seem to work in M video mode, I was hoping to work in P mode this way you can put an ND, shoot in P with a variable aperture lens, and have auto exposure with correct shutter speed. At least that how it was advertised by several websites, so what's the point of this if it does not reduce flicker and only works in M mode ?

P.S. I'm blown away by the stills quality, much better than expected, to bad the AF operation is so clumsy and dog slow compared to Olympus, I wish they are just wrong settings on my part.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow