POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?

Started 7 months ago | Polls thread
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 13,815
Like?
Re: May I offer a comment (and an example)
In reply to nicodimus22, 7 months ago

nicodimus22 wrote:

Darrell Spreen wrote:

Small? The image I posted is identical to the size I downloaded. And, on my monitor (calibrated NEC) I feel my version is about as usable than yours, which also shows many artifacts and noise due to the dark original conditions.

Small, as in it's only 1024 X 575 pixels. Maybe you didn't view the image at full size (2952 X 1659) to download it? It's about 1/3 the size. It might be passable (although still dark) on a small phone or tablet screen that is around the same resolution of the image, but viewed at full size on my monitor, it looks pretty bad.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on what is usable. I am admittedly picky. I use a calibrated 27" 1440p monitor and try to hold my images to a fairly high standard within the limits of what's possible with this camera. The owl photo is not something I would normally show others, because it's poor quality. Still, it's better than nothing, which was kind of my point with RAW acting as a safety net.

As far as the JPEG thing goes, based on my observations, I do feel that the camera introduces more artifacts when it renders JPEGs. When comparing the finished JPEGs to the finished JPEGs from the RAW files during that first week, I noticed that the JPEGs created via Lightroom from the RAWs were consistently cleaner.

-- hide signature --

"If I handed my 5-year old daughter my iPhone and asked her to take a picture of that, would your photo look any different from hers?" -Scott Kelby

Small, but not so bad - maybe not quite as sharp as it could be:

And some interesting diffraction effects from nearer branches, I'd say.

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow