Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
larrytusaz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Stung, Don't Feel Like Photographing Ever Again
3 months ago

Let me preface this post--I anticipate many replying saying "wow, you're being very immature" or "this sort of stuff happens, you expect too much perfection" or the like. I fully anticipate I may receive such responses, but just maybe someone can relate.

An incident happened that has me seriously never wanting to take another photograph again. I have the Nikon J1 mainly for "who cares" photos and for my wife to use, and the Sony NEX-3N and NEX-6 along with the 16-50 PZ "kit," the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 (first version) and Sony 50mm 1.8 OSS. The 16-50 PZ often is mated with the 3N for landscape photos and then that combo will be in a portable case, the NEX-6 often gets used with the 30mm or 50mm for portraits.

I last used the 3N and 16-50 last Sunday, yesterday I go looking for it and it's gone. I may have left it somewhere but as I last used it Sunday and retrieved the images from it, and haven't used it since, I feel like it's here at home somewhere. Regardless, I absolutely cannot find it.

This has me furious--our income is limited, to spend $300 on another one would sting quite badly, plus I had a very particular case for it, one I found at a garage sale for $2 but fit it perfectly, it also had 2 zipper pouches for holding my bubble level and polarizer filter. It was perfect for being small and light but getting great Nikon D7000-quality images with it, and the CPL and bubble-level all being right there was really handy and the perfect setup.

On top of the cost & aggravation of replacement, I just absolutely cannot stand losing things. I have it very strongly in my thinking that losing things is something that just shouldn't happen, no matter what, ever. One should not have to spend such an extremely tremendous amount of mental energy just tracking what they own and remembering where it is; to me, these things should work much like breathing, automatically without any need for any active engagement of the owner in terms of having to be SO specific about where they put things and having to constantly stop and check to make sure etc. These things should just take care of themselves. To have to expend mental energy and such on these things, to me that's too much work, and beneath me--if I'm going to spend a lot of time on something, I want it to be towards actually DOING something nice and noteworthy, not something so remedial as keeping up with something that shouldn't be practically growing legs to start with.

It has me so upset, in my current state I just don't want to take anymore photos. I've taken the remaining camera gear and put it in a closet near where my winter clothes are packed. I even tracked down every last memory card, spare battery etc I could find and put ALL of it away, in a box with packing tape no less. I may even sell it. I've even gone to my photos hosting site and starting deleting past photos (I've left the original hard drive copies alone, so far anyway.)

I just want to never take another photograph again--if every time I dare to use a camera I'm at risk of it apparently growing legs and walking away and costing me $300, no thank you. And no, I won't use my phone camera, I don't believe in "iPhonetography" or whatever, but just to make sure, I even took a screwdriver & hammer and took out the lens on my phone camera to make sure that there would be NO functioning camera around here that could be used. Even though this is the first time any such thing has happened to me, to me that's still too much, this should NEVER happen, not even once every 300 years. EVER.

Anything like this happen to upset anyone else enough to just want to quit?

-- hide signature --

LRH

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +2 more
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow