Another camera choice decision

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,619Gear list
Like?
Re: Another camera choice decision
In reply to plasmaj, 5 months ago

After debating this for weeks (over a month really), I basically gave up and went with a basic Nikon D3200 thanks to a good deal I found. I couldn't decide on the mirrorless I would want and the necessary costs that it would require to get the really good lenses on it.

The Nikon is big, ugly and seems much lower tech, but at least I know it is quick in all types of AF uses and quick to turn on. I decided with an added 35mm 1.8 it will make sure I don't miss anything the first few years. And the size does not really bother me since I have relatively large hands.

That said, I almost kicked myself when, right after I bought it (within the hour), I saw the Olympus refurb sale.
But I feel ok with the choice. This plus my LX7 should have me covered.

I really do appreciate everyone's advice here. I do think I have now decided that when I do go mirrorless (still believe I will in a few years), it will be micro 4/3. The size advantage of the APS-C mirrorless bodies seems largely lost once you start putting good lenses on them.

My wife has a D3200. It really looks like (and is) a cheap, ugly, plastic camera but it takes good pictures. I think you'll be happy with your choice if you just look at the pictures and not the camera.

You will eventually find, like my wife, that the camera is too big to bring with you a lot of the time.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow