POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?

Started 7 months ago | Polls thread
nicodimus22
Senior MemberPosts: 1,160Gear list
Like?
Re: Photographic evidence of what?
In reply to djddpr, 7 months ago

djddpr wrote:

Please, no more verbal argument. I am willing to be shown that raw post-processing is superior to jpg plus post-processing; and, if photographic evidence so indicates, I would be enthusiastically willing to learn from you

There are already some good comparison shots in this thread by gardenersassistant.

However, in some cases, what you're asking for would be impossible, because you would be comparing one photograph to nothing. Why? Because a challenging photograph taken in RAW was able to be salvaged, and the same shot taken in JPEG would have been thrown away. The most important function of RAW is not to increase image quality; it's to act as a safety net. Even the most experienced photographers have shots that don't go as planned. Being able to salvage an important shot (example: a bride in a white wedding dress, where exposure can be tricky) is an attractive option to some people.

Personal example...it's a bit extreme, but it illustrates what is possible. I took a handheld owl shot shortly after sunset about a few weeks ago.

The original shot, saved in RAW format with no processing:

Processed:

If I had only taken a JPEG, and I tried to raise the exposure 3.4 stops as I did with the RAW file, I would have ended up with no usable image. This image isn't breathtaking, mind you, but at least I have a viewable shot.

It's simply a nice option that some of us like to have, but I don't think anyone is forcing you to use it. It has advantages and drawbacks, like everything else.

-- hide signature --

"If I handed my 5-year old daughter my iPhone and asked her to take a picture of that, would your photo look any different from hers?" -Scott Kelby

nicodimus22's gear list:nicodimus22's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow