how to get best high iso results with D7100 ?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
akjos
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,568
Like?
how to get best high iso results with D7100 ?
7 months ago

I like this camera all around especially detail and dynamic range which is excellent BUT high iso is very mediocre to say the least.
Im hardly shooting raw because files are like 25mb each plus converting to dng makes for extra couple workflow steps. I tried raw and jpgs extensively but just cant seem to like high iso shots from d7100.
i know ADL should be turned off for high iso shots probably but honestly i didnt see much of a difference...

Looking at bunch of old files from my D700 makes me almost cry. I have plenty iso 1600-2000 shots in the DARK that look MUCH better then D7100 at iso 800.
The d7100 noise looks obtrusive digital and "artificial" and even when denoised by noiseware pro ( used it with d700 too) files leave much to be desired ( to me)
Yes dynamic range is worse with d700 but 6+ year old camera beating latest dx model in high iso is kinda messed up.
I wish nikon didnt stuff 24 mp in dx sensors...im sure that has a lot to do with it :/

If someone said ill trade the camera with you Id get d700 on the heartbeat instead again. But looking at used market , prices are quite insane sometimes very close to refurb or new d610 ...

Anyone has any secret tips they would be willing to share before i give up and get fx camera again ?
( and sadly sacrificing awesome sigma 18-35 i just got month ago in the process)

Thank you!
--
http://www.pbase.com/jps1979/galleries

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
bothNew
SameNew
overNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow