Advice for GPS to use during visit to UK (Yorkshire Dales)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Isabel Cutler
Forum ProPosts: 14,776
Like?
Re: We're planning on renting a phone for local use...
In reply to Guy Parsons, 6 months ago

Guy Parsons wrote:

Richard Weisgrau wrote:

Rent a phone with GPS. That is what I did in a couple years ago. Although the mobile phone business in EU is highty competitive and you might be able to buy one for less than a rental depending upon how many days you will be there.

Local phones or at least your own phone with a local service account makes more sense.

In Oz we get many horror stories of people who go a-roaming overseas using their phones and come home to multi-thousand dollar phone bills for the foreign access. Data roaming can be extremely expensive in some places. GPS makes more sense for guidance as it's only using satellite data and not streaming data. A good map book makes more sense for planning and drawing lines where you have been, needs no batteries.

By now your brain must be overloading with information and suggestions. Relax and just enjoy the trip.

Regards..... Guy

You bet our brains are overloading.

There can be too much of a good thing and Garmin just has too many offerings!  It will be nice to have a backup to use when our phone gps can't receive data in remote locations here, but I suspect the gps we use in the UK will only be used there!

I am not great at reading maps...spacially and directionally challenged - a gps will be greatly appreciated.  When we go driving I use Google maps and tell my husband what's coming up (besides what the lady on the app has to say).

Isabel

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow