Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
WIMorrison
Contributing MemberPosts: 915Gear list
Like?
Shoot through, or reflector umbrella?
7 months ago

I will be doing some formal shots of coupes arriving at a black tie dinner in a few weeks and plan to use remote nikon flash guns to provide light (sb900 and sb800). I will mount them on poles to get me above the couples and I wonder whether I am better spotting through translucent umbrellas or if reflector umbrellas are better?

I also presume that I should make one flash brighter by a stop or so to ensure that there is some direction to the light - am I correct in that thinking?

After the formal shots I am required to wander around shooting candid shots and I plan to use the d900 mounted onto my d800e with 24-70mm f2.8 for this, bouncing off the ceiling with the white card up to put some highlights into eyes - again is this the best way?

The last question is whether I am better using what the best camera and flash settings to use especially for the candid shots where everything will be varying all the time. TTL BL? TTL, slow flash setting in camera?

Any suggestions and advice will be appreciated

Thanks

Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

WIMorrison's gear list:WIMorrison's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +11 more
Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow