Advice for GPS to use during visit to UK (Yorkshire Dales)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Ranlee
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?
Hugs are always nice!
In reply to Isabel Cutler, 4 months ago

Isabel Cutler wrote:

Ranlee wrote:

Isabel Cutler wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

If you buy a true GPS you're better off buying it in the UK so you don't have to pay for maps. If you decide to keep it then you can buy US maps when you get home, otherwise you can sell it when you're leaving the country and recover most of your outlay.

Good suggestion! Thanks.

Isabel

I visited the UK last fall and was in the same boat as you Isabel. When I looked into renting a unit with a rental car it turned out I could buy the unit and take it over with me for about the same price - maybe a little more but I still have the unit at the end.

I ended up with a small Garmin with both European and USA maps included. The unit I purchased does not get free updates but most roads don't change that often anyway. Long story short, it was the best dang thing I ever bought. Turn by turn guidance in a beautiful country full of one lane wide roads with towering hedgerows and a paucity of signage was a wonderful thing. It made negotiating roundabouts an absolute breeze right down to making sure you were in the correct lane when entering and then giving a count down for the correct exit. I've visited the UK and Ireland a number of times without GPS but would never do so again. It made the trip almost stress free!

The unit rarely lost the signal and then usually for a few seconds or so at most.

-- hide signature --

Randy

I cannot tell you how comforting your suggestion is! The roundabout scared the hell out of me and since we're old folks, our responses might not be the snappiest!

What model of Garmin did you get?

Isabel

Well, I'm no spring chicken either. The model I bought was the Nuvi 2475LT. I just checked the Garmin site here:https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/automotive/previous%20models/nuvi-2475lt/prod97148.html  and it appears they still have it.  Looks to be about $30.00 more than I paid a year ago.

The reason I bought it is because it was one of the few that had the Euro maps preloaded and I see it still does.  While you don't get lifetime map upgrades mine did include one free Euro upgrade which I performed just before leaving last September.  Its a small unit but big enough to see easily and the voice (English accent of course) was easy to hear inside the car.  I would say the only problem we had was when we did miss a turn it could send you on a rather adventuresome route to get you back on track.  Usually it would direct you to uturn or go around a block but a couple times we headed off into the stratosphere.  Not to worry though it will get you there in time.  If you're going to buy I would do so soon so you can get familiar prior to your trip.  I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know when you leave.

Regarding roundabouts.  They're really not bad at all (I managed to survive my first 3 trips with only a few fists brandished at me).  They are a breeze with the Garmin as is almost everything.  We stayed in a refurbished shepherds cottage on the coast for a few days and programmed its location so we could find it again each night.  Seriously (well almost seriously)  I might still be looking for it if I didn't have the GPS.

Have a wonderful trip!

-- hide signature --

Randy

Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow