Can Pentax make A Decent Lens? Ricoh have not fixed QC issues...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,705Gear list
Like?
Re: Mighty Mike made an interesting observation!
In reply to DAVID MANZE, 3 months ago

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Hi,

Mighty Mike made an interesting observation when he posted that the tested DA 50 1.8 was slightly decentered on SLR gear according to their sharpness graphs, resolution is shown across the frame by a graphic representation marked in blur units, what I hadn't noticed was that this shows and decentering very clearly. I've never really seen any comments by the author about lenses centering qualities, obviously he lets the graphs do the talking. Checking through a selection of tested lenses many appear to have slight centering problems.

Here's a link to the Pentax DA 18-135mm test;

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1384/cat/46

Just click on the blur chart to enlarge, from there you have access to focal length and aperture changes.

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

All lens every made are d-centered that’s a given, Its if the amount of de-centering is field relevant .

From the graph its looks more like field curvature than d-centered and the authore does comment on the lens alignment " this is matched with some fairly decent central performance"

It is nothing but uncorrected field curvature and probably won't be field relevant unless your into brick walls

Even the worst focal length (24mm) 9 blur unit Vs 13 blur units will not be field relevant @f4 (everything is just blurred)

Looking at the focus footprint @f4-f8 I  there is no element alignment issue and is purely the uncorrected field curvature your seeing

this is what d-centered looks like

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1219/cat/11

And indeed the author does comment on the poor alignment.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow