Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andrew Ellis
Contributing MemberPosts: 661Gear list
Like?
Not really bonding with my EM-1 ?
7 months ago

Hi guys, I only recently partially converted across to M4/3 having been a Nikon SLR and DSLR guy for over 35 years. So far I have a GX7 and an OMD-EM1 body, with a small selection of lenses including the Olympus 12-40 F2.8, 45mm F1.8, 9-18mm and the Panny 20mm F1.7, 45-200 F3.5-5.6 and the diminutive 12-35 F3.5-5.6.

Now my brain is telling me that currently (GH4 aside), that the OMD-EM1 is the currently king of M4/3, is more DSLR like (which I'm used to), is fully weather sealed and has the best viewfinder. However for some reason, I'm not bonding with it and 8 times out of 10, pick up the GX7. There's nothing wrong with the EM1, it's a fine camera, with excellent output and an exquisite IBIS system, but the GX7 for some reason just seems to be much more fun and intuitive to use.

Output wise, to my eyes, there's nothing to choose between them, and certainly when the 12-40 is sat in front of either body, the images are so similar that I sometimes have to check the file numbering or EXIF to see which body it was shot on. Indeed, if I might dare, I actually find the high ISO output front he GX7 slightly better than the EM1.

I've had both for similar amounts of time (well the GX7 maybe a few weeks longer) so I don't think it's just a familiarisation issue ? I'm just wondering if after carrying heavy DSLR's for many years, the liberation of a small light range finder style camera with superb image quality, is tricking my brain into being prejudiced against the EM1 ?

Anyone else found this or am I just weird

-- hide signature --

Lets make pictures, not war........

Andrew Ellis's gear list:Andrew Ellis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 +12 more
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow