645Z - medium format for the masses - is there still a market for a D4x?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,374Gear list
Like?
Re: Who is chasing who?
In reply to marcio_napoli, 7 months ago

marcio_napoli wrote:

Dave, I'm joining Pat here, and will disagree with your statement.

CCD, yes, it has a look of its own.

I've shot countless CCD cameras (including 3 different digital backs - 22, 31 , 40 mp), and countless CMOS cameras (including the MF-like D800), and I can clearly see the CCD rendering.

it's because of the CFA...not the CCD...and yes,mI've been using ccd since the 80's for astronomical imaging and tri color filtering sets.  You can profile the camera to match the color of the CFa from the old ccd cameras.  Sorry, this is old news.

In fact, just for fun, I've made a comparison a few weeks ago between my D200 and my brother's D300.

CCD vs CMOS, both from the same technological era (sort of), same settings and same lenses.

I was surprised to see how different each camera rendered. Trully surprised, it was indeed a massive difference, more than I expected.

you were surprised at the different color rendering from the different cfas.  Profile the d300 color to match the d200, and magic...they are the same.  This is basic stuff.

My brother is an engineer. He does not believe in such "magical" CCD attributes, and he could clearly spot the difference.

He was spotting color differences...that is it.

Another comparison I've done: Phase One P40 vs D800

40mp CCD vs 36mp CMOS, again, a clear difference in overall rendering (no just colors).

different size sensors....duh

If you have ever downloaded any Leica M9 DNG, you know there's something very special happening there.

I've used the M9 a great deal, along with the S2...anything else?

-- hide signature --

Marcio Napoli

www.marcionapoli.com

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow