APS-C soccer - Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX VS Sigma 100-300mm f/4

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
kshepp
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
Re: APS-C soccer - Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX VS Sigma 100-300mm f/4
In reply to PeterDejmek, 6 months ago

Just to throw another variable in the mix... are you hoping to follow one particular player or cover the whole game?

For the past 6-7 years I've been shooting a team that's played together for most of that time, but with the emphasis on one particular player... now 13... who plays striker. With access to the entire sideline and end line I typically camp out on the end line on whichever side he's playing. From that position, even though there are plays happening 100+ yards away, most of the shots I care about the most... breaks, shots on goal, action in front of the goal on corner kicks, etc... are in the 0-30 or 50 yard range. As such, even shooting full frame on a Nikon D700 + 70-200mm f2.8 the play gets too close to capture everything at 70mm. If I was shooting 100mm on a crop sensor (~150mm full frame equivalent) I'd miss a TON of stuff.

Similarly, if you're trying to get shots of each member of an entire team over the course of a season and you can move around the field, you can camp out in one corner for one half, move to a different spot for the next half, the mix it up for the next game, maybe focusing on getting nice shots of 2-3 particular players each half. In that situation, again, you probably don't care so much about maximizing reach. You might miss the best play of the game if it happens down at the other end of the field... but... there's probably a 50/50 chance the best play of the game's going to be going away from you anyway.

If you're trying to capture as many of the great plays in one particular game as possible... if it's one particular event you care about... rent another body and complementary lenses to maximize the focal length you can cover.

kshepp's gear list:kshepp's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow