Why does canon eos-m get its own forum but Samsung nx does not?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Simon Joinson
dpreview AdminPosts: 4,395Gear list
Like?
Re: Why does canon eos-m get its own forum but Samsung nx does not?
In reply to ennemkay, 2 months ago

ennemkay wrote:

Much has changed since the forms launched. I don't think total numbers all-time is really the right basis for these decisions, because that would mean every other brand would take years to catch up to canon even if one of them were currently (and permanently) more popular than canon. In fact, i don't see much logic at all in that reasoning.

Sure, for Samsung that makes sense, but I'm not sure why you would think that anyone was playing catchup, given how late Canon was to launch into the digital camera market. As an example the oldest Sony forum is almost 18 months older than the oldest canon forum.

Going all the way back to 2000 (about a year after the forums launched) you can see that it was Canon that needed to catch up with Nikon, Olympus, Sony:

August 2000

Jumping forward to the halfway point (Dec 2007)

December 2007

By 2007 canon and nikon dominated the SLR market (which drives most of our forum traffic) with Canon in the lead at something over 40%. So yes, Canon did catch up.

Anyway, it's not like we make these decisions based on historical data - we make decisions on new forums based on current / recent activity. My point was simply that thus far we don't seem to have got anything really badly wrong.

-- hide signature --

Simon Joinson, Editor-in-chief
dpreview.com
connect.dpreview.com

Simon Joinson's gear list:Simon Joinson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Apple iPhone 5 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow