Which gear would you pack for a night MLB game?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kshepp
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Which gear would you pack for a night MLB game?
4 months ago

I'll be attending a night San Francisco Giants game at AT&T park, sitting in the first row between the home bullpen and the dugout. We attend a handful of games a year, and typically I take something along to just take snapshots, but this is the closest I've ever been or probably ever will be to the field.

I've shot enough youth soccer, baseball, and football to know that I'm not going to get a ton of crazy action shots from this spot, and I don't really want to go overboard watching the entire game through a viewfinder at the expense of enjoying the game, ignoring the folks I'm with, or lugging 50lbs of gear into the game.

If you had access to the following assortment of gear, what would you take to get just a few nice shots with a minimal kit and never been in a situation where you say "shoot... that would've been a great picture, if only I'd had X with me."

Bodies

• Nikon D700
  • Nikon D7000
  • Panasonic GH3
  • Panasonic GX7

Lenses

• Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII
  • Tamron SP AF 24-70mm f2.8
  • Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 II EX DC HSM
  • Tamron AF 24-75mm f2.8
  • Nikon AF-S 50mm f1.4
  • Nikon AF-S 35mm f1.8 DX
  • Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8
  • Panasonic 14-140mm
  • Panasonic 20mm f1.7

I'd be inclined to go with the GH3 + 12-35mm + 14-140mm + 20mm on the theory that the GH3 + 12-35mm would be a nice compact size and get pretty much everything close without sacrificing too much image quality. But having the full frame D700 + 70-200mm f2.8 is obviously appealing... and maybe the best compromise is the D7000 + 50-150mm.

What would you do?

Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow