POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?

Started 6 months ago | Polls thread
phototransformations
Senior MemberPosts: 2,802Gear list
Like?
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?
In reply to Erik Ohlson, 6 months ago

Erik Ohlson wrote:

"Jpeg PP'd", when PP is actually done, 2 keystrokes:

No further comment.

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Erik,

Not clear to me how your two keystrokes restored the lost detail in the trees, the water, the and the seaweed. Instead, they added sharpening artifacts. At a very reduced viewing size, that might be fine, but at 100% ... it looks awful. The RAW file (from a RAW+JPEG shot) retains all those details. No need to oversharpen to imitate them. I PP'd the JPEG to try as best I could to match the RAW file without adding artifacts from the post-processing. I couldn't match it, and neither have you.

It's fine to me that you like to shoot JPEGs with a travel zoom. I'm not arguing against that. I've looked at some of your images on Flickr and some of them are quite nice. The point of this example was to illustrate that the RAW file contains more detail than the JPEG. That's it.

David

phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow