Do you have A6000 Banding with Back lighted Subjects?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
- Ken -
Regular MemberPosts: 415
Like?
Do you have A6000 Banding with Back lighted Subjects?
2 months ago

Another thread on this forum was started about banding occurring in scenes that are strongly backlit. I went out and did some tests and discovered that in strong backlit situations horizontal banding occurs in the deep shadow areas near the light source, in this case the sun shining through tree limbs. The other thread had some useful discussion, but it seemed that some of the feedback was from people who may not own the A6000. The purpose of this thread is to get an idea if this phenomena occurs on all A6000 or only some.

The problem is easy to overlook unless you do a test like I have done, photographing directly into the sun shining through tree limbs, or some other subject. Viewing the images at 100%, I did not notice it at first. I only really noticed it when I enlarged the image to 200%. The crop below is scaled up to 200%. The banding can also be made more visible by boosting the Exposure or Shadow controls in Lightroom. I shot several backlighted scenes and the phenomena varies in how easy it is to see the horizontal green bands.

The banding was present whether the electronic first curtain shutter was enabled or disable.So this makes no difference.

I am debating whether this would ever actual present a problem in large photographic prints since it is barely perceptible at 100% and only in these types of back lit situations. I do shoot a lot of pictures where the sun is part of the composition, so I am pondering my next course of action. The best place to start is to determine whether or not this is normal or not for the A6000? Experience with other cameras would be interesting to note, but that will not answer this fundamental question. That is why I am asking A6000 users to test their cameras themselves and report what they find.

-- hide signature --

Enjoy the light,
Ken
http://www.ioscapes.com/

Original Full Frame

Cropped portion of Full Frame

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow