Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
socal4142
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?
Maybe Strobist Lighting 101 is becoming less helpful / even confusing
7 months ago

After years of shooting mostly available light, I just went through the research process of getting started shooting off-camera strobes with my Micro Four Thirds setup. (and I love it!!) Like nearly every human being who tries to learn about this, I went through the latest 'edition' of Lighting 101. While it's a wonderful resource (I intend no criticism), my final conclusion was that things are changing so rapidly (read: Yongnuo) that a bunch of the material in Lighting 101 is actually distracting and potentially really confusing at this point.

All of the explanation about cold shoe adapters, sync cables, etc. is largely unnecessary. Today you can get a set of Yongnuo RF 603 II transceivers for the same price as cold shoe adapters and cables. With the II version of those, they work with just about every camera that has a hot shoe, including Micro Four Thirds (that also renders pretty obsolete all of those threads about how to hack the triggers and solder them into working).

And then the cost: if you go with the Lumopro flashes that Hobby recommends, you're easily looking at a $1000+ setup when you go look at the kits at mpex.com. But today you can pick up 3 of the latest Yongnuo's (with wireless receivers built it) and a transceiver kit for just slightly more than 1 Lumopro.

My point is just that things are changing so rapidly, and prices are falling so quickly, that a newbie reading even the 2013 version of Lighting 101 today could actually end up a bit misled, overcomplicating things or overspending.

I have never used flashes before, but when I got my Yongnuos and transceivers, the process was literally this easy:

• Put in batteries
  • Attach transceiver to camera (Panasonic GX7, in my case)
  • Turn on transceiver and flashes
  • Press one button on flashes to switch to wireless mode
  • Everything works perfectly

I definitely say "Thank You" for the strobist materials that are available! But for someone else just getting started, no need to overcomplicate things and overspend. Things are changing rapidly in the favor of anyone looking for great off-camera flash for very little money.

Tim

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow