equivalent aperture charts

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
livejon
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: equivalent aperture charts
In reply to shademaster, 5 months ago

shademaster wrote:

Could you guys make the equivalent aperture charts you often post selectable for popular camera/lens combos.

e.g., in the recent G1X mk ii preview,

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-powershot-g1-x-mark-ii/images/apertures.png

you compare G1X ii to RX100 and canon 18-55 STM on APS-C. But it would be nice to also include the luxury P&S's, (e.g. LX7), the μ4/3 with standard kit zooms, μ4/3 with the 2.8 zooms, the Fuji 18-55, etc. In a user selectable way. Or at least make all the info available in a downloadable spreadsheet.

Thanks!

I second this request! It would be great if you had a chart to compare equivalent aperture similar as you do noise, whereby you can  scroll through different cameras and see them expressed on the chart for side-by-side comparison.

I shoot underwater ambient (ultra low) light and often need to use as wide open aperture as available. My needs are actually for as high an equivalent aperture as possible, relative to speed of the lens / max aperture and quality of the sensor (think of an exposure in very dark water where ISO is up to 3200, f/2.0, 1/60th). Small sensor cameras won't do, but a full frame doesn't allow for a nice wide depth of field. I am currently using Sony RX100ii so I can get as much as I can in focus, in the lowest light possible! But it would be great to be able to compare sensor types/sizes and/or camera models against one another.

Thanks for the resource, you guys are great!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow