Is it true 95% of people buy cameras for family photos! and when can I be a snob?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Northoceanbeach
Regular MemberPosts: 446Gear list
Like?
Is it true 95% of people buy cameras for family photos! and when can I be a snob?
3 months ago

Until five months ago I took no pictures. didn't own a camera, didn't like the phone.  Growing up I vaguely remember a film minolta, but don't remember using it.  I've never had any interest.  I travel a lot, all I really want to do is travel, at one time I collected some postcards.  I just never thought that I could capture an image that accurately portrayed the scene that I remember.  With the smells, the sounds, the feel or the air, of being there.

Long story short on a whim, I got a camera last Christmas, for myself, to myself.  friend and family had been encouraging me to.  last year I went sailing for five months on some really scenic places, and all I had was my phone and didn't use it.  I've gotten really into it, I even noticed yesterday the beginnings of some attitude.  Disdain for my girlfriend taking  camera pictures.

I read on this site, and I don't believe it was a scientific study, but some 95% of cameras are sold for family and vacation pictures.  There's got to be a name for them.  I'll try to think of one.  Im even now noticing threads on here like what would be the best camera for me, I mostly shoot my kids and they move around a lot.   Why do people need a good camera and lenses for their kids?  If you're taking pictures to post on Facebook, the IQ doesn't have to be good, does anyone even notice?  Does anyone even care about pictures of someone else's kids?  I find photography quite expensive of a hobby, but it's worthwhile to create art.  How good does the bokeh have to be when it's Timmy's soccer game?  Is that what people on here are doing or is that what people NOT on here are doing.  Far be it for me to criticize someone else's choice of subject matter, but that's where the snobbery comes in.

im not good yet, but it think I will be.  I'm starting to be able to see things in other peoples' pictures, noise, bad lighting, poor framing and I'm starting to get an attitude.  When can I be a camera snob?  How good do I have to get before I can scoff at Facebook photos? (There's the name for those pictures.  Facebook pictures.  I'll have to edit above)

Northoceanbeach's gear list:Northoceanbeach's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon 1 J1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow