Sigma 35mm 1.4 beware of focus issues close to infinity

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ArturoBandini
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 35mm 1.4 and 18-35 f1.8 - excellent focus
In reply to ArturoBandini, 4 months ago

ArturoBandini wrote:

Here's latest AF tune I've made to make AF "usable" at distances from 0.28 up to 3-5 meters. Above that pictures get out of focus dramatically.

I'm sure I want be going back to this brand. As I wrote in another post, I'll continue to use this lens for closeups (product/art) and landscape (via LV focus) photography, and occasionally as a walk around lens - but I'm almost certain that third option will lead to often disappointment (due to average photos produced by inaccurate focus)... The worst use of hardly earned 800EUR I could have ever made.

F-ing lens! Finally I had some time and it was a nice weather, so I went out for a walk and took the camera with me. Big mistake! At 35mm pics were way out of focus. Nikons AF tune helped a bit, but I was to nervous to continue, so I went back home. New test showed that I need to change values in 3rd and 4th zone from +4 and -6 to +1 and 0 respectively. There's really no logic to this behavior and obviously Sigma's dock is worth nothing in this case. The lens is only good as paperweight...

ArturoBandini's gear list:ArturoBandini's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow