Canon 5D Mark III does not follow "Sunny 16" rule

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
Muresan Bogdan
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?
Re: Canon 5D Mark III does not follow "Sunny 16" rule
In reply to Mark in Cali, 7 months ago

I also own a 40D and a 5D mark III. I find myself dialing +1/3, +2/3 EV on them most of the time (on both of them). But what I found in the 5D mk III is that the mettering on the 5D (compared to the 40D) is quite different and takes into consideration the focus point that you are using. So if you focus on a spot that is more bright (like somebody's face) it will have a tendancy to underexpose even on average mode. This is why if I shoot events and I focus mostly on people sometimes I dial +1EV. So on the average you might feel that the 5D is underxposing compared to your 40D but it is actually a different metering. You will get used to it. I actually like it more than the old 40D. I find it more accurate in changing conditions and backlit subjects.

If you want to test the two cameras do it with a grey card in rather controlled conditions ( lighting conditions I mean). Outside small changes in atmosphere might change the light from one frame to another. Canon might test in a lab and send you the camera back saying the meter is ok...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow