Should i exchange my canon 17-55 2.8 for another one? Would you?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Cameranoobie
Regular MemberPosts: 346
Like?
Re: HOW SERIOUS IS THE I.S. FAILURE ON THIS LENS?
In reply to Hank3152, 6 months ago

Hank3152 wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

A friend of mine (after i told him what i bought) is trying to convince me to return the lens cause he says i will run into nothing but problems. He says this lens has a high failure rate (almost gaurenteed problems) and the I.S. dying after a year is a manufacturers defect.

He also said that NOT to use the IS if i dont have to. He says to manually turn it on when i need it to save it from breaking down as fast.

Can anyone comment?

You need to exit this Open Forum and repost in the Canon Lens forum.......you'll get many more responses from experienced people who actually use this lens than freshmen onlookers that haven't got a clue and denounce it.

Canon has no other f/2.8 zoom with IS other than EF L lenses at double its cost........so regardless what anybody says it is a great lens as it's IQ proves. Most of the newer copies have improved their dust issues.

-- hide signature --

"Five out of four people have trouble with fractions."
Regards,
Hank

Ok ill do that.

ive beem trying to figure out when my copy was made, but online it says there should be a serial number on the rear mount of the lens but i dont have any.

I looked all over the lens and all i see is a 8-9 numeric code on the underside of the lens.  How come mine doesnt have a serial?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow