Elephant in the room - It's all about the OS and connectivity.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Maklike Tier
Regular MemberPosts: 317Gear list
Like?
Elephant in the room - It's all about the OS and connectivity.
7 months ago

I've been reading a lit of the forums recently, and in light of recent releases, my love of M43, and all things digital, aren't we missing something?

That being, the lessons of the tech sector, namely, that it's all about the content management and the GUI used to facilitate that content, not the hardware.

Since picking up my little EP3 a couple of years ago, the sticking point for me has really been the OS. Like all cameras, in the modern context it's rubbish. What really struck me like a ball to the head was Leica's new OS. So intuitive it's ridiculous.  Yep, it's maybe too basic and 'phone-like', but where are new users coming from?  Where are new photo enthusiasts coming from?  Yeah, mobile phones.

And what do these new photographers expect when the decide they want to step up their photography and get into it? They want usability like their iPhone.

How is it that Leica has it first, and not Sony, or Panasonic or by beloved Olympus?

I really think the key to growing M43 is software based, not hardware. The lenses are mostly there, the bodies need a little bit of polishing (but the EM5 didnt win awards because it's rubbish) but they're mostly there....

The elephant in the room is that OS' and connectivity is in the dark ages compared to 'other things that have lenses attached to them'. The future of M43 is software.

Thoughts?

Maklike Tier's gear list:Maklike Tier's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Olympus PEN E-P3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow