ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
smobaek
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?
Canine action: French ring in le Revest ... an excellent weekend. C&C welcome
7 months ago

Wow!

I actually used to practice this canine sport years age; before my dog went to dog heaven and the kids were born.

Unable to resist any longer I took my D600 and the brand new Tamron 80-300 to check out the action. This was the last regional competition qualifying for the finals of the national french championship.

Only top notch dogs and handlers (the owners in most cases).

Pressed for time these photos were processed using mostly default setting with VNX and RawTherapee. In addition; frequently cropped to avoid disurbing elements like judged etc ...

For any of you being opposed to canine defense work, please bear in mind that all dogs participating here are not agressive. They were strolling around the field with the spectators with thir kids (and their dogs). An agressive dog would not stop an excercise on command! That, after all, is extremely important!
None of these dogs would bite an unprotected person (more than once); "l'amour de la toile".

What makes me love this sport is the competition between the dog and his opponent, l'homme d'attaque. The human will try to make the dog fail through speed, gestures, gun shots or the bamboo stick. No human violence or physical aggressivity is permitted.

And when the dog has to work all alone (hidden handler) ...... fabulous!

Yeah, well .... there is an obedience part as well ....

Guarding an object. The dogs looses points if the object is moved ... or if it doesn't wait for the guy to get real close

Search, contain and transport (with gun / no live ammo! ). The human tries to escape before being disarmed.

Facial attack w/bamboo stick. Do you think the dogs was impressed? Nah ....

Aborted attack. See what the dog does? Too late to avoid the guy, but it certainly did not bite. Can your local, official police dogs be controlled like that? I have my doubts ....

So, the Tamron works fine when the light is good.
I would like a larger AF area than what's the case with the D600, but I really cannot go for a D4 (yet).

More pictures here: http://smobaek.smugmug.com/Sport/Dog-Sport/201405-Selectif-Le-Revest/

I definetly want to continue shooting this kind of action!!

-- hide signature --

Good night and best regards

Svein

smobaek's gear list:smobaek's gear list
Pentax K-r Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED +4 more
Nikon D4 Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow