Cannot decide whether to buy a D4S or a D800E for weddings

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
LD_50
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?
Re: Cannot decide whether to buy a D4S or a D800E for weddings
In reply to Mikesauce, 2 months ago

Both cameras will be fantastic. D800 will allow larger prints at a given DPI, more cropping options, and is cheaper and smaller. D4s handles much better in my opinion, has a larger battery, buffer, faster operation, and offers a vertical grip and better low light capability (although downsampling when viewing/printing D800 files will lessen or even negate the advantage).

I would recommend renting a D4 or D4s if possible. Even a Df would give you an idea of whether the image quality will work for you.

I would not be concerned about file size. Computers, hard drives, etc are constantly improving.

I choose to shoot a D4s. I would also like the resolution of the D800 in a D4x and have considered the Pentax 645 and Leica S systems.

All these type of comments are garbage:
"you don't need a D800 unless you're pixel peeping"
"I print wall size images that are sharp as a tack at 2 MP"
"D4s is for people with too much money or ego"

Each camera is great. They each offer something the other does not. I find them both useful but currently do not shoot a D800 because I find the D4s to be the best option for my use.

I would base the decision on handling/ergonomics, desired print size or viewing size, and low light needs.

LD_50's gear list:LD_50's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow