RX100 iii – stabilization improvement or not?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
falconeyes
Contributing MemberPosts: 786
Like?
Re: RX100 iii – stabilization improvement or not?
In reply to zoranT, 3 months ago

zoranT wrote:

Where does Sony explicitly claim that RX100 iii stabilizer is improved over the other models?

We don't know yet.

Where I've read it, it always was in the context of video.

Wrt to efficiency, CIPA established a norm how to measure #stops improvement. After release, it made many SLR vendors lower their claims by 1 stop (what used to read 4 stops now reads 3 stops etc.). Only very recent expensive Canikon glass and Olympus seems to be able to do 4 stops.

I observe that Sony omitted the CIPA rating for stabilization while they put the CIPA battery rating. That's no good sign. It probably means stabilization is as bad as 2 or even 1 stop.

Unfortunately, the only service I know which tests stabilization on a regular base (French Labo Fnac) excludes this test from their compact dossier which includes the RX100. But many tests show an effect of stabilization only for long shutter times like 1/15s or less. This points to a lack of precision hardware  (gyro sensors or lens motor) in said cameras.

-- hide signature --

Falk Lumo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow