Should i exchange my canon 17-55 2.8 for another one? Would you?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Camley
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?
Re: Should i exchange my canon 17-55 2.8 for another one? Would you?
In reply to Cameranoobie, 2 months ago

Cameranoobie wrote:

i wasnt too happy when i opened the brand new box a few days ago ,zoomed out the barrel, stuck a flashlight from the top and saw about 30 tiny particles of very light dust on the inner section of the lens. It was all on the circular ring part. Its not behind the outter part of the lens, but the part behind it. Basically you have to zoom out fully to see all of them, otherwise you dont notice it. Its also pretty hard to see them without a flashlight shining through the lens.

would you go back to the store, open a new one while there to see if that one has dust ipon the inner element? If it does, ill keep the one i have now. If it doesnt ill swap it,

If it worries you replace the lens.

Then, when you get a new one don't shine a flashlight through it! The specks won't impact image quality and I suspect that most lenses viewed this way will show some minor dust and defects.

I have the 17-55 lens and haven't had a dust problem. It is a excellent lens.

Camley's gear list:Camley's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow