ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
leggeron
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?
Fresh Meat
7 months ago

Hello

Just jumped on the Pentax boat about a week ago with a K30 + 18-55 WR + 50 1.8 DA + 18-135 WR (why 18-55 + 18-135? Dumb initial purchase...).

Boring rant follows (read if you have nothing better to do):

I never ever considered buying into Pentax. I have had Olympus dslrs years ago, then when Olympus practically abandoned the four/thirds format I felt left out to dry. And moved on to Nikon - d3200->d5100->d7000 with a V1 thrown in for flavor all within 7-8 months. Never liked them much though. Actually except for the V1 which incidentally opened my eyes to mirrorless. So decided to give Olympus a second chance and a year ago became the happy owner of an OMD EM5. Got some nice lenses for it, including the 12-40 2.8 gorgeous pro zoom, battery grip, RC flashes and so on. It was the best camera/system I ever had (most expensive as well). Fantastic performer, IQ not quite up to the d5100/d7000 standards but really close enough, overall a joyfull system, delightfully responsive and fast, letting you always get the shot no matter what. And I could go on sounding fanboyish for long while still.   But...it started giving me issues - black or severely and ununiformly almost black frames at high shutter speeds. At first once in a while and later so often that using the camera at speeds above 1/2000 became utterly frustrating. So something broke and so did my heart - loved the bugger. I sent it off for repair and got it back repaired faster than I expected, but I don't trust it anymore. So Im getting rid of the system.

So there I was back at the camera store, probably going to go to Nikon again.  Don't why, but I would not pick up a Canon. And I am allergic to Sony, be it a camera or a toaster. And I had this uninspired look at all cameras on display, and my eyes for some reason fell on this relatively small and ugly looking dslr with a lens with a green band sort of shoved to the side of all the sparkling Canikons... And said "I want that thing there" without any clue what Im getting into. 5 minutes later I trotted off with a K30 and 18-55WR box under my arm.

A week  or so has passed since then and I find myself actually enjoying the camera a lot. And its looking handsomer by the day Will be adding lenses after sorting out the lemons (The 16-50 2.8 they had at the store produced awful results at 2.8, could be a sample problem, so I am not rushing in until I explore and test all options). So Im spending some time getting used to the camera just snapping away to get a good feel of it.

So I ll stop boring you and leave you a sample snapshot so its not just text. Sorry, I don't have a cat...

leggeron's gear list:leggeron's gear list
Pentax Q7 Olympus E-PL7 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax 02 Standard Zoom Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3200 Nikon D5100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Pentax K-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow