Is this forum quietening down?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Gary Martin
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,156Gear list
Like?
Re: Is this forum quietening down?
In reply to james45, 7 months ago

Yes, this is a gear forum really - so peaks when there are rumours or grumbles.

There used to be several quite unpleasant people on this board but they've largely gone away. Unfortunately many who got picked on by them headed over to PF and I suspect that's where the action is, now.

Left behind are several knowitall bores, and a lot of heated discussions about how one excellent lens has fractional edge over another. Generally both will turn out to be glass that our photographic forbears would have wept over with tears of envy.

And - for me this is the killer - there's very little actual photography here. And when there is it's almost always dreadful. Billions of tedious bird shots (technically difficult? maybe. Interesting? Alas no.) and far too many brick walls/ back yards. I'd like to be challenged and inspired more often.

People will post long, pompous, essays about how the sharpness of their FA* 85mm compares with their da70 ... and then accompany it with a snapshot of their granddaughter or dog which is crushingly awful. Pictures taken on a £3,000 lens+body combination that my iPhone would do just as well with. Funny, really!

anyway - that's my tuppenceworth

While there is a lot of truth to what you say, ridiculing bird photos was a bit of a cheap shot, IMO. I'm not a bird photographer, but I respect those who can do it well, and enjoy almost any genre of photography that is well executed. You can't ask for more photos and then complain about what you're getting.

As others have said, this is still primarily a gear forum. Until there are interesting new Pentax products to talk about, this forum will continue to languish.

Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow