Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lordbeau
Senior MemberPosts: 1,220
Like?
Love my D300s (prefer it to my D800)
3 months ago

My D300s is the only camera that has never given me any trouble. Click click click! It just keeps on nailing the focus and I take it for granted that it will deliver with no problems. Lenses work properly on it, the focus points are all spot-on and the results are razor-sharp.

My problems started when I branched out. The D7000 and I never got on. I had to send it back twice to have the backfocus corrected (they did get it right the second time) but the AS was never as good as the D300s, I didn’t like the orange colour cast and I eventually sold it. I missed the instant zoom on playback button custom setting badly, too. The D7100 had similar probs. My first one had severe backfocus on the far left AF point but the next one was fine. However, the six-frame RAW buffer was pathetic and the AF was not as good as the D300s.

Now the D800. Hmm. Where do I start? I have had it nearly a year and on a good day in good light I can get some smashing pictures. In any other light and with any lens other than my 35mm f/2, it is hit and miss. It has taken me a year to realise that the far left AF point is off. The focus IMO is overall sub-D300s. Not sure what to do next. I went into John Lewis yesterday and played with a 6D. Every focus point spot on and the results really crisp. The pictures popped. I have no plans to get a D610 after the D600 fiasco and I think that the D300s I will keep and then maybe pair it was a 6D. Expensive, yes, but I have had my fingers burnt by Nikon rather too many times.

Canon EOS 6D Nikon D300S Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow