Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
herbert68
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Terrible IQ of 5T in my Best Buy test shots today
May 19, 2014

I own a Canon SX40 HS, a nice all-round camera with a long zoom, but the small sensor makes low light shots very noisy, among other issues.

Now I'm looking at the Sony NEX-5T, currently for $500 at Best Buy and many online stores, or for $650 with additional 55-210mm tele zoom lens at Cameta Camera .

I've done a lot of reading, here and elsewhere, and everywhere the sample images look really great, crisp, sharp, with no significant noise into the high ISO.

So today at Best Buy I asked if I could do a few test shots in the store using their display 5T and my Canon so I can compare IQ. The sales rep kindly removed the alarm fixture so I could insert my SD card into the 5T and I did a few no-flash shots around the store with both cameras – with the sales rep always close by.

Back home I expected to see a dramatic increase in IQ from my Canon to the 5T, but much to my surprise I saw the exact opposite! The 5T shots are MUCH worse than the Canon ones.

How is this possible?

Here are two 100% croped samples, the first one from my Canon SX40, and the second one from the Sony NEX-5T:

Distance was about 5 meters (15 feet).

How would you explain such bad image quality of the 5T?

I'm really stumped. At this point, and to give credit to the many reviewers of the 5T here and around the Internet, I assume someone before me may have messed with the settings of the 5T, as I did not change any settings in the 5T, I just shot 'as is'..

If it's useful, here are screenshots of the camera data of these two images, the rollover exif data of the images above have been messed up in Photoshop:

Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow