Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Briansdad1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,121Gear list
Like?
After the Wedding, 1
7 months ago

The day of the wedding was just awful weather. Heavy rain and high winds. Lightened up quite a bit before the reception, though. I took some (modified) advice I got here. To the left of the entrance iwere the wash rooms. I set up a table between them with a hair dryer, brush and rat-tailed comb and a sign on the wall: "BAD HAIR DAY! Borrow these if you like and return for the next person. Thanks." They were put to use. Also set out small, paper sandwich boards on each table encouraging guests to email to me their images which I will collect and pass on to Josh and Pam (the bride and groom).

Had a great time. Played the pro and pulled it off I think. The end product is not pro, of course, but there are some keepers. As someone here signs "Learned something new every time I clicked the shutter." (or something like that.)

I hung the FZ70 with the external flash and the Nikon 3100 with a 5-200mm lens around my neck, the latter using the internal flash with diffuser. Most of the shots in church had to be flashless so I used the Nikon mostly there. Both cameras performed better than I did. I tried to switch between just JPG and RAW+JPG (just forgot about RAW only option. Too often though, when the action was fast, I was in RAW+JPG and didn't realize it. Buffer issues resulted slowing me down and I just waiting, a little perplexed. The recycle time of the external flash was the biggest pain. I'd forget to wait and shoot again (did this a lot). The would buffer too, yielding only a black image. People walked on front of my shot way too often. I was on the floor shooting the kids at play and a 2 year old came up and put his I-just-ate-my-meal-with-my-hands fingers on my lens glass!. He was give a less on how to clean camera. Very attentive. then he took me by the arm to help as I struggled to get back on my feet. So cute I had to forgive him.

The versatility of the FZ70 really showed here, especially when there was action. Often, when I have the Nikon in hand, a potential shot would appear too close to focus or, less often, to far for the built-in flash. (My external flash doesn't sync with the Nikon.)

As the day-night wore on (it was a long, exhausting affair) I got better and better with the external flash. I discovered I could hold it with my left hand near the pivot joint, above its light sensor, and quickly adjust the angle depending on the range to the subject and the position of the camera, landscape or portrait. Often, too bright or too dim could be adjusted just by changing the angle of the bounce flash. Used the built-in diffusser and reflector most of the time. Long shots (and it's effective range was surprisingly long) aimed straight on.

So, now for some pix. These are all from the FZ70 this post. I selected a few of my favs, PP applied. The first could use some help, though. Mixed light sources made color a nightmare. Also, I was unsure if I wanted to attempt to correct the geometry. I find, sometimes, fixing one thing distorts another.

St. John's Church, Brunswick Maine. About 150 guests at the wedding.

Snack table at the reception. Couldn't resist pushing the color here a little.

oops, a PNG. 1/125 sec., -1 EV, f5.5, ISO 400, 30.3mm (178 ELF)

Josh and Pamela Dance

Josh and Pamela Dance

The kids were the most fun to photograph. Caught this little girl taking a break. She let me setup her pose.

Let the Merriment begin!

And a great time was had by all!

-- hide signature --

I'm not a pro. Images I post are unrestricted. Copy, edit, re-post here as part of the tread or elsewhere. C&C always welcome and encouraged - I'm not touchy about the negatives.

Briansdad1's gear list:Briansdad1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +6 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow