Flash recommendation for Macro? (With Oly 60mm)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
iansmith
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list
Like?
Flash recommendation for Macro? (With Oly 60mm)
2 months ago

I'm looking at getting a flash, mainly for macro work but also for general indoor shoots with other lenses.

The FL600R seems to be what I need from what I have read, but wanted to get some input here, both which what flash to get and how to best use it.

Ring flashes while convenient seem to produce a lack of contrast and shadows, plus being unsuitable for normal work.

A remotely trigger flash is what everyone seems to suggest, holding the flash in one hand to the side and the camera in the other.  Is it worth the hassle of getting a wired extension  cable?  Will that give me any faster or more reliable use than using the RC flash?

I have an E-P5 so I do have a built in flash to trigger it.

Thanks!

iansmith's gear list:iansmith's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +4 more
Olympus PEN E-P5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow