Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jlehet
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
Bad SD cards -- fake Lexar?
4 months ago

I recently bought 3 "Lexar" 16 GB cards from Beach camera. I'm pretty sure it was a link to a special deal I clicked from this forum, but I might have found it elsewhere. 3 x 16 GB Lexar "200x" cards for about $20.

My wife is going to be traveling abroad, and I got these for her to have extra capacity. They were just sitting around here, waiting for her trip, but for some reason I decided to put one of them in my E-PL5. I've had this camera for a year of serious use (now it's my IR converted camera, which I'm using quite a lot). Yesterday out of about a 80 exposures, I got 4 or bad files. This camera has never written a bad file to my usual Sandisk cards.

Disk Utility on the Mac reads this card as "generic."

I'm assuming these are not real Lexar cards, and that they are all going to be bad.

A little search time, and it seems it's far more common than I knew for counterfeit or manufacturer-reject cards to be sold as quality branded cards.

I'll contact Beach camera and see if I can get resolution, but I'll put this out as a warning. Not the biggest problem in the world, but I'm glad I tested before her trip.

From now on only reputable tried-and-true dealers for me when I buy cards: Amazon, Adorama, B&H.

Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow