Canon 5D still worth buying?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,865Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 5D still worth buying?
In reply to SanjayNair, 6 months ago

SanjayNair wrote:

Hello everyone. Was contemplating buying a used 5D classic body which comes at a bargain price, considering I have been wanting to start using FF to get the wider coverage for my landscapes and better depth for portraits. I have been looking at used lenses for it too, and the prices are in the range I can afford at the moment. I am aware it lacks live view and SD card support and the lesser AF points. I dont really use live view expect the time I do astrophotography, which wont really be an issue for me. I will be using my Nikon D5000 as a second body anyways, if something of that sort comes up.

You can compare the sensors here.  What you'll gain over your D5000 is a bit of low light ISO performance but otherwise not much else.  Depth of field will go down, so that may be a disadvantage (for landscape uses) not made up for the usual perks of a FF camera (better color depth, dynamic range, ISO performance) given a much older generation sensor.  You'd be better off getting a used D5300 or a D600.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow