Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lordbeau
Senior MemberPosts: 1,220
Like?
Nikon far left focus point is 'weak'
3 months ago

The far left AF on my D800 does not appear to be backfocusing. I had that on the D7100 and returned it.

However, it is very hit and miss with that far left point. Centre point and far right AF seem OK at catching focus but the far left one will nail it but if I try again seconds later on the same target it will just be a smear.

If I use LV to compare results then yes, LV pics shot at any point over the image are either vastly sharper or just slightly sharper compared to VF. It depends on the lens though that has been the case with D7000 and D7100. They were all much sharper with LV.

The lenses I use for test are 35mm f/2 (subtle differences but you can still notice), 50mm 1.4 (very noticeable difference on far left most of the time), and the 28mm 1.8G (hopeless on anything other than centre point and massive difference between LV and VF. That lens is almost unusable).

I don’t really know what this tells me – whether my lenses are generally off (have tried fine-tune but it does not change the basic issue), or whether indeed, the left point of my D800 is at odds. Overall, it worries me about Nikon QC unless I am missing something.

Am I alone in this? I still think that the left point does not BF because when I saw it on the D7100 it was miles off whereas this is subtle and does not always happen.

Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow