Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,685Gear list
Like?
In and around Thames with G1X MKII
3 months ago

I live in a town called Thames in New Zealand. Its mainly a farming country, but has some beautiful beaches too. I didn't have much time to take G1X out, but did managed to take some pics in and around Thames.

I ended up buying the EVF. I didn't buy it with the camera as I wanted to make sure that I was happy with its IQ. In addition to daylight use it is really helpful when taking close up shots on the ground where critical focus is important (LCD won't be helpful in daylight and built in EVF would be unusable due to very low position of the camera).

Some pictures.

Picture above was taken using EVF tilted up. First I used autofocus, then switched to manual focus and move the camera few mm backward to get the focus where I wanted. Without tilting EVF it would have been much harder to nail the intended focus.

Flipping LCD comes handy for these low angle shots.

I use tele end for close up shots. I get better background blur and subject separation with it. Aperture between 5.6 and 6.3 gives me the balance between sharpness and blur I prefer for close up shots.

Technique similar to watch shot was used for this pen shot.

Another low angle shot using flip LCD.

This leaf was about an inch long. Camera couldn't auto focus on it, it continued to focus on the background. Many of you have already faced this situation. I am using this workaround at the moment: I focus on something approximately the same distance as the subject (often I focus on my left hand), then use manual focus and/or slight backward and forward movement of the camera.

Another shot using flip LCD. I was able to keep my knees and hands dry.

It was a foggy morning.

Local cemetery.

Except for the focus issue mentioned above I am really happy with this camera.

-- hide signature --

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow