Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?
Downloading pictures, wearing out plug and/or SD slot
7 months ago

I have both an A3000 and an A6000 and I would like them to last.

The A3000 I don't transfer pictures that often, because my wife uses it more sparingly.

But the A6000 I toy around with often, and I find myself transferring pictures 2 or 3 times per day. I find the SD-card slot very finicky, and the battery door feels very flimsy to me, so I don't want to touch that too often. To both transfer photos and charge the battery, I plug it in using the USB cable. Turning the camera on, and I can see it mount on my computer, after which I can just copy the content. Turn the camera off, and the battery begins to charge (ps. it would be nice if an LED would indicate it's charging...).

My concerns is, am I wearing out that USB plug...?

My intention is to get that Wi-Fi transfer going, but I use Linux only, and transferring it to an Android device (which I have several of) brings forth having to solve a bunch of problem that I haven't gotten around to yet.

So in the meantime, I'm using that plug, but I wonder how many times can I plug it in and out, before it starts to develop problems? Are these plugs rated at all?

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow