Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lawrence Keeney
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,061Gear list
Like?
Lens flare with the E-M1
4 months ago

I recently did a photo shoot of a Confirmation service at our church. Up high behind the altar is about a 10 foot diameter stained glass window. When we had dummy run-through of the confirmation process with the young people the night before, it was one hour later, and the sun was not shining through the window. The night of the confirmation the service was one hour earlier, and the light was streaming through the window.

To the naked eye, I didn't see any problems, but once the young people went up to the altar, I got down in front of the altar, and could not see anything in the viewfinder of my E-M1. I moved off to the side as much as I could and yet still see the faces of the young people. Attached is one of the shots I took.

As you can see, the top right side of the photo is washed out. I tried holding my hand to to block the light, but I couldn't find a spot to block the light without my hand being in the photo.

Of course I couldn't use flash in the church so this was taken at f/3.5, ISO 2500, 1/100 shutter speed. I wish the whole image looked as good as their feet look.

On another photo shoot with similar lighting, my granddaughter took a photo with her cellphone which turned out 100% better than the photos from my E-M1.

This attached is a typical image, and is pretty much straight out of the camera.

-- hide signature --
 Lawrence Keeney's gear list:Lawrence Keeney's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow