Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OvinceZ
Senior MemberPosts: 2,588Gear list
Like?
Brighton Beach Bathing Boxes panorama - DP3M
7 months ago

I just returned from a photo trip to the Great Ocean Road, Melbourne, Wilsons Promontory, Tarra Bulga, The Pinnacles of Eden and the Sapphire Coast south of Sydney. I used my A7R most of the time supplemented with the 5DII with GPS. I used the Sigma DP3M occasionally. Now that I see the photos on my large monitor I regret not using it more. The detail is superb. The colours natural. Darn, I wish there was a FF Foveon camera with a Canon adapter.

The DP3M isn't user friendly. You have to compose on the LCD and if your eyes are not good or the light is poor then it isn't a good experience. Yes, the focus is accurate but the camera is so limited compared to what Sony and Canon do. Then the small batteries are a pain. I have 8 of them and I have to change them too frequently. Sometimes the 'charged' ones don't work so I get another one!

I bought the DP3M mostly for shooting flowers so the 50mm lens is limited for landscape photography. I guess the solution is to get all three DPMs!

Anyway, enough of that. Look at what the camera delivers. I was hoping for the crowd to disappear later in the day. It was a warm Sunday afternoon and people kept coming. The ice cream man had a lineup most of the day.  So I decided to photograph the people with the Bathing Boxes in the background. These boxes don't have windows so people don't stay in them. They store things they need when they visit the beach. They are on just a few beaches in Melbourne and make a spectacle with all the bright colours.

I was going to leave the photo unedited but decided to add Perfect Effects Dynamic Contrast and Increased Colour because that is what I saw at 4:30 pm late in the day. The sun sets at about 5:15 at this time of the year.

This is a large file to show the original size panorama but reduced for the internet. It is 5.28 Mb in size.

Vince

Brighton Beach Bathing Boxes - 6 photo panorama 12634 X 3034

OvinceZ's gear list:OvinceZ's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +14 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow