Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,206Gear list
Like?
Loving my Fujis but keeping my Canon 5D MKIII
2 months ago

Had a session with a 17 year old prospective model who needed pictures for a comp card.  We started out with some studio shots.  Past experience had shown me that the EVF on my Fuji X-E2 left a lot to be desired in the studio, where the subject is lit by modeling lights when framing and focusing.  Focusing itself is fast.  However, the image in the viewfinder under these dim conditions is yellowish, dark and the refresh rate is a bit slow.  As a result although usable, I feel a disconnect with the subject, not a feeling I have with the great OVF of my Canon 5D MKIII.

However, after the brief studio session, we did some on-location shots in a place which has great indirect open shade lighting in the afternoon.  For this occasion I took my X-E1 with 35 mm f1.4 and X-E2 with my brand new 56 mm f1.2.  What a difference.  Did not have the feeling that I was using an EVF at all.  Loved being able to adjust the EC without chimping.  I have a tendency to tilt the camera, so that I love the electronic level.  The combo worked great.  Close-ups with the 56 mm 1.2 were sharp even at 1.4 with great bokeh.  Full body shots were wonderful with the 35 mm f1.4.  The lighting was such that  I really did not need fill flash, a deliberate choice.

Now I have a bunch lf editing to do, followed by putting my Canon 85 mm f1.8 on Craigslist.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow