*** This Week Through YOUR m4/3 2014.05.17 ***

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Ednaz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,363
Like?
Re: First flowers in the garden... and it rained
In reply to jalywol, 3 months ago

jalywol wrote:

Getting good Iris shots is always difficult....These are great! Was it with the PL 45mm?

-J

Yes, the PL 45mm.  It's such an excellent macro lens - and I'm comparing it to a long string of Nikon macros I've shot over the years, and a couple of Sigmas.

Iris are difficult.  The intensity of the purples and yellows is such that you can lose detail really easily.  I always, always shoot in the first hour or two of sunlight, because the horizontal light does show the fine detail (veining, ripples) on the large single color areas reasonably well.  By the third hour in, they become huge flat expanses of color with no texture.  When I shoot iris or other similar deeply colored flowers in studio, I light them with contrasty lights and again at acute angles to maintain texture.

I get a lot of practice... my wife has about a third of an acre flower garden and several places that she buys bulbs and plants from now use my photos in their ads and catalogs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NiceNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow