Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,326Gear list
Like?
Re: Tulips, and a Nun.
In reply to Wormsmeat, 6 months ago

Wormsmeat wrote:

Do you know I'd never heard of that lens? Thought I pretty much knew the whole range.

Well, it was the first macro introduced in the line, and it's expensive, so it was kind of off the radar for anyone except macro shooters (since its maximum aperture is f2.8, it did not attract those searching for a really shallow DOF lens).

I didn't seriously look at it until late last year, myself, because of the price.  However, after trying the 60mm Oly, and not liking it at all (I could see no real difference in IQ from it and my old manual Nikon 55mm macro), and trying an adapted 50mm f2 Oly 4/3 macro (way too noisy, slow, and I didn't care for its IQ, either), I thought I would give this one a try.  Prices when I got it were about $200 less than they are now (!), so, since I could work it into the budget, I got one.  I've been very pleased with it, and to be honest with you, it is nice having AF capability on a macro lens for many of the situations where I shoot.

Comparisons of it and my old Nikon show improved color rendition and less CA (which was already pretty low). It's sharp, but it has a little bit of the PL magic in terms of how it renders, which enables very pleasing output. I'm happy with it.

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NiceNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow