Did I accidentily broke my DSLR using my neck strap as a wrist strap?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TheMrPatrick
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
Did I accidentily broke my DSLR using my neck strap as a wrist strap?
5 months ago

Hello. 2 Weeks ago I get my first DSLR on my birthday. A Canon 600D, I have been using is almost every day and am taking good care of it. But it stopped working today, I am getting error messages, error 20 and error 40. Aside from the errors I cant use the camera at all. It is completely frozen when it is showing the mode menu. I cant turn it off or do anything else with it untill some error message pops up.

I think the damages occured like this.

I was taking pictures today and at some point I had my Canon in my left hand and some other stuff in my right hand. I needed to grab something so I dropped the Camera and let it dangle on my left arm. The neckstrap was around my arm, so I thought I would be save. Nothing went wrong. The camera, in my opinion, dropped softly(it didn't free fall..) and it dangled for a few seconds. But when I tried to take a picture right after that moment the camera didn't turn on anymore. Only after a few attempts and removing the battery the camera finally turned on to show an error message. Error 20: mechanical failure. And later on, error 40 power supply failure.

I can also hear some rattling inside the camera which I never heared before. So my question is whether this is to be expected. The neck strap also is pretty short in my opinion, and when I let the camera fall it always touches the strap at some point which slows it down. And in the end, the fall only lasts a split second.  Or are DSLRs that weak?

I'll be sending in the camera to a repair center next week, but I hope someone can explain what I possibly did wrong.

ANSWER:
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow