Do you have a tough off camera flash cord?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mousehound
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?
Do you have a tough off camera flash cord?
5 months ago

I am setting up a Canon flash that will be fixes to an extension bracket attached to my gimbal.  This puts the flash over and away from my 400mm canon lens. I mostly take outdoor wildlife shots.

I attached my (cheapish) off camera flash extension cord to the camera and screwed the flash end to the bracket.  I then attached my trusted 550X to the end of the cord bracket attachment.  As I was readjusting the position of the rig to get it balanced on the gimbal the flash attachment fell apart with the flash still attached - just a few wires.  Fortunately I was holding the flash at the time so no damage done.  Removed flash extension cord and threw in bin.

OK - just buy the expensive Canon original - should fix the problem.  However, I read reviews that hammer the Canon extension for pretty well exactly the same problem.  Falling apart.

Does anyone have experience of a really well built flash extension cord - or other suggestion - that will allow me to use my flash outdoors and with some confidence?

Or at least a cord that is equal in quality to the Canon but cheaper.  Ultimately I would rather pay more for better quality though.

Thanks

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow